Read below to make sure this event is suited for you and your troop / group!!
#1 reason you didn't know is because you didn't read!
We have put in place this information so YOU will know what to expect when making your decision whether to participate or not in the Rose Parade Float Decorating.
First, we need you to understand the sheer scale of the event. We help to service over 7,500 people from 500+ troops from multiple councils over 12 different days, with over 350+ scouts and non-scouts decorating per shift. We also handle all of Fiesta Parade Float's policies and procedures.
This is a VERY time consuming volunteer job. We need your cooperation to make it run smoothly so as to ensure everyone has a good time, including us!! The process is a HUGE undertaking so we ask you for YOUR most tolerant consideration!
It is recommended that if your troop/group has NEVER completed a dry dec day (full 8 hours) to NOT register for a floral dec day.
A bad attitude from you or your troop or any other participants you bring - including parents! - will get you removed from decorating (dry or floral) ... and possibly asked NOT to return!
This is strictly enforced! It is YOUR responsibility as the LEADER to check ages.
Dry Decorating - (weekends before Christmas) ... 10 years old minimum and adults
Floral Decorating - ( week after Christmas to New Years Day) ... 12 years old minimum and adults
Upon registering your troop/group you are in agreement to this information stated below.
- Register via on-line registration form. Some troops/groups are now limited to (1) dry and (1) floral decorating day if they did not show up for their scheduled shift for the 2014 or 2015 float decorating OR comply in some way.
- You need to check your e-mail on a regular basis for further communication (i.e. waitlist info, confirmation, shift changes, forms, etc.)
- When communicating (call, text, or e-mail) with us include your troop number AND your council (CCC, GLA, OC, SDI, SG) - following this procedure ensures you a faster reply!
- Communication is critical, if your number of participants change, you need to let us know ASAP - DO NOT add any participants without our approval.
- DO respect our family time - call or text between 9am & 9pm any day of the week.
- DO NOT call or text on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, or Christmas Day.
Concerning Your Decorating Day (Dry & Floral):
- YOUR attitude as the leader is supremely important. If you handle change with positive nature - and deal creatively with disappointment - and are willing to turn situations into learning experiences for your girls, YOU are the ideal leader for this!
- If you or your troop are easily offended or get upset - be AWARE that this event may not be for you!
- YOU are NOT guaranteed a job! Because of the nature of the work, there could be periods of no work - which involves waiting around for 3 hours or more. It is out of our control if music testing, engine trouble, or re-design has halted decorating.
- Occasionally, troops have been sent home because of the lack of work to be done.
- Whining & complaining to a Fiesta Floats Supervisor(s) or to us about a lack of work OR a job you are doing - will have you being asked to go home.
- If the Fiesta Parade Floats or Girl Scout Supervisors deems your work unsuitable you will be re-assigned to a job that is better tailored to your skill set. DO NOT take it personally! Keep in mind this is a real world job & the end product is most important!
- If a Fiesta Parade Floats Supervisor asks you back "at any time" - you can IF they give you a pass .... Otherwise!! YOU MUST adhere to the Girl Scout scheduling! Check In with Girl Scout supervisors - to see if there's availability before you leave for the day!
- During FLORAL DEC - YOUR troop is NOT guaranteed work ON A FLOAT! Sometimes the only place we need people is in Flower Prep.
- Inform yourself by knowing what floats we are working on - Look at the renderings on this website.
- You MUST clean up before you leave - "A Girl Scout always leaves a place cleaner than she found it."
- IF YOU CAN'T BE ON TIME - BE EARLY! Arrive 30 minutes early - WE MEAN IT! If you habitually run late - make adjustments! We need to know how many people we actually have to work with - in case changes have to be made. YOUR lateness causes other troops to wait as well.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. We do hope the truthful straight-up nature of these words help you to make an informed decision as to whether or not your troop participates. We truly hope that every participant has the best time possible. If you have ANY questions - please contact Kathleen.
Bring patience, understanding, and respect for everyone!
This can be a truly be a positive and memorable opportunity.
We look forward to seeing you!!